- This event has passed.
CLASS FULL: You Can Knit a Sweater!
November 30 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
An event every 2 weeks that begins at 6:00 pm on Wednesday, repeating until December 28, 2022
Yes, you! Learn how to transform a gauge swatch into your first handknit sweater. Join Stephanie for a five-part class (November 2, 16, 30, December 14 and 28) that will take you through all the steps of making a masterpiece. If you can knit and purl confidently, cast off and cast on, you can knit a sweater. If you can knit a hat, you can definitely knit a sweater. Over eight weeks, we will cover:
- 11/2 – measuring a gauge swatch, calculating size, and casting on
- 11/16 – separating for sleeves
- 11/30 – casting off the body & weaving in ends
- 12/14 – picking up & knitting the sleeves
- 12/28* – showing off our knits, lingering questions, & picking your next adventure in sweater knitting (this date flexible depending on participants’ holiday plans)
Given that we will be aiming to finish our sweaters in eight weeks, Stephanie strongly encourages you to choose a baby, toddler or child size sweater if there is a little person somewhere in your life—you will be guaranteed to keep up with the class, and it’s always great to have a gift for a small new friend on hand. You’re totally allowed to knit an adult sweater, just be aware this will require more knitting on your part to keep up!
Materials for the first class to purchase or bring from home:
- Flax pattern by Tin Can Knits (free download on Ravelry here)
- Worsted weight yarn—see table on pattern page 2 for suggested amounts
- US 6 and US 8 (or size to obtain gauge) needles. See pattern page 2 for the lengths needed for the size you’ll be knitting. If you’re unsure about your gauge, hold on buying all your needles until after the first session.
- Stitch markers, darning needle and scrap yarn or barber cords
Homework for the first class on 11/2: Please come to class having knit and blocked a 4″ x 4″ gauge swatch. If you don’t block it, it won’t be accurate! We’ll measure and calculate your size in class. Since the gauge we’re aiming for with Flax is 18 stitches & 22 rounds, you can cast on 24 stitches on US 8 needles. Knit three rows in garter to anchor the bottom edge of the swatch, then switch to stockinette (knitting on the RS, purling on the WS) but keep working the first 3 and last 3 stitches of every row in garter (knitting both RS and WS). Knit 25 rows in stockinette and then finish with three rows in garter before binding off. For more guidance and photos, Ysolda has a lovely in-depth explanation on how to knit and block your swatch here.
*Note, this is a five part class. Per our class policy, teachers are not required to offer makeups for missed classes. If you cannot attend all the sessions, reconsider registering (we will have other sweater classes). If you are ok missing a class and feel confident about keeping up, then feel free to sign up! We don’t want anyone unhappy with their class experience. Thanks!
To register, please call the shop at 202-714-5667. For all additional class info, go to our FAQ page. Thanks!